DAY 1
A diamond in the rough 有潜质的人或物;璞玉
~
Axe to grind 生气;找人理论;别有用心
001 A diamond in the rough 有潜质的人或物;璞玉
历史典故
这个俚语的字面意思是“未经打磨的钻石”。众所周知,钻石在未经打磨时只是块不起眼的石头,一旦经过雕琢,便能散发耀眼夺目的光芒。本俚语主要用于形容有潜质和才能,却尚未被人发掘的人或物,相当于中文里“璞玉”的象征。
对话
Kevin: Look at Steven. He is such a nerd.
你看史蒂文,他真是个书呆子。
Rose: Why? He is just addicted to what he likes.
为什么?他只是埋头于自己的兴趣爱好而已。
Kevin: As a result, nobody wants to be close to him.
但这样的话,没人愿意跟他做朋友了。
Rose: Well, in fact, I believe his hardworking in science makes him a diamond in the rough.
我觉得,他一心钻研科学的那股劲儿倒让他成了块璞玉了。
002 A drop in the bucket 微不足道;分量很少
历史典故
对话
Kevin: I’d like to do something to change the world, but whatever I do seems like a drop in the bucket.
我很愿意做点什么来改变这个世界,但是无论我做什么都显得微不足道。
Rose: You should not think like this. If everyone makes a little effort, we can make a change to the world.
你不应该这么想。如果每个人都贡献自己的一分力量,我们就能改变世界。
Kevin: Yes, you are right. We also should do our best to appeal to everyone around us.
对,你说得对。我们还应该尽最大努力呼吁身边的每一个人。
003 Apicture is worth a thousand words 百闻不如一见
历史典故
对话
Kevin: I have traveled to Jiuzhaigou Valley recently.
我最近去九寨沟旅游了。
Rose: Wow! The scenery there must be very beautiful.
哇!那儿的风景一定很美。
Kevin: Right. A picture is worth a thousand words. It’s more beautiful than what I imagined.
没错。当真是百闻不如一见,比我想象的还要美。
Rose: I will travel there in the near future.
最近我也要去那儿旅游。
004 A piece of cake 轻而易举的事
历史典故
对话
Kevin: Have you passed TOEFL?
你通过托福考试了吗?
Rose: No, I haven’t taken it yet. I think it is too hard for me.
没有,我还没有参加过。我觉得它对我来说太难了。
Kevin: You should have confidence. It is just a piece of cake for you.
你应该有信心才对。托福对你来说简直是小菜一碟。
Rose: Why do you say so?
为什么这么说?
Kevin: I have passed it, and your English is much better than mine.
我都通过了,你的英语水平比我好多了。
Rose: OK, I’ll try.
好吧,我试试。
005 Absence makes the heart grow fonder 小别胜新婚
历史典故
对话
Kevin: I see your husband loves you more than before.
我看你丈夫比以前更爱你了。
Rose: I feel so. We haven’t met each other for three months.
我也这样觉得,我们都三个月没见了。
Kevin: I got you. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
我明白了,小别胜新婚。
Rose: You are right.
对了,就是这样。
006 Achilles’ heel 唯一弱点,致命伤
历史典故
对话
Kevin: Would you like a piece of cake?
你要不要块吃蛋糕?
Rose: Oh, I would like to, but I can’t.
哦,我想吃,但是不能吃。
Kevin: For what? Are you losing weight?
为什么啊?你在减肥吗?
Rose: Yes, I am going to attend the beauty contest in September, where the winner can get 1,000 dollar.
嗯,我要参加九月的选美比赛,冠军可以获得1000美元。
Kevin: So you have to overcome your weakness, your Achilles’ heel.
那你必须得克服你的致命弱点了。
007 All hell broke loose 失去控制
历史典故
对话
Kevin: Did you hear about the news of the earthquake?
你听说地震的消息了吗?
Rose: Yes. It was really so sad.
是的,真是太悲惨了。
Kevin: It was said that all hell broke loose there. We should do something for the refugees.
据说那里一切都失控了。我们应该为难民做些事情。
Rose: Yes. Let’s go! Hurry up!
是的。我们走,赶快!
008 All that glitters is not gold 金玉其外,败絮其中;勿以貌取人
历史典故
对话
Kevin: I think I’ll invest a lot of my money in that stock.
我想我会投资很多钱在那只股票上。
Rose: Do you think that’s a good idea?
你觉得那是好主意吗?
Kevin: Many people think it’s going to really increase in value.
许多人都看好它会升值。
Rose: Well, don’t forget that all that glitters is not gold.
看事情别只看外表。
009 An albatross around(one’s)neck 挥之不去的阴影
历史典故
对话
Kevin: You shouldn’t blame yourself any more. It is not all your fault.
你不应该再自责了,也不全是你的错。
Rose: It is my fault. If I ran faster, the accident wouldn’t happen.
是我的错。我当时要是再跑快点,车祸就不会发生了。
Kevin: You must be painful all these days.
你这些天一定很痛苦吧。
Rose: Yes, the scene is just like an albatross around my neck. I even can’t breathe.
是啊,那一幕在我脑海里挥之不去,我甚至都无法呼吸了。
010 An arm and a leg 非常昂贵;昂贵的代价
历史典故
对话
Kevin: You got a Maserati? The new car is really wonderful!
你买了辆玛莎拉蒂?这车真是太棒了。
Rose: Yeah, the price of it is also wonderful and I really have paid an arm and a leg for it.
是的,它的价格也同样太棒了,我为了它几乎倾尽所有啊。
Kevin: So why do you buy such a expensive car?
那你为什么要买这么贵的车啊?
Rose: Simply because it is cool.
就因为它很酷啊。
Kevin: You are so cool, too.
你也太酷了。
011 Armed to the teeth 全副武装
历史典故
对话
Kevin: Rose, the final examination is coming. How about your preparation for it?
萝丝,期末考试就要到了,你准备得怎么样了?
Rose: I think I have no problem. I have armed to the teeth for it.
我觉得我没有问题。我已经为此全副武装。
Kevin: Yeah, I believe it. You are always doing the best.
是啊,我相信。你总是竭尽全力。
Rose: Thank you. I must get the scholarship of this year.
谢谢你,我一定要拿到今年的奖学金。
012 At death’s door 濒临死亡
历史典故
对话
Kevin: I hear your grandmother is in hospital.
听说你奶奶住院了。
Rose: Yeas. She is seriously ill.
对,她病得很重。
Kevin: I’m very sorry to hear that.
我很遗憾。
Rose: The doctors believe she’s at death’s door.
医生都认为她将不久于人世。
013 At the drop of a hat 立刻,马上
历史典故
对话
Kevin: I was scared when this accident happened.
事情发生时我真是吓坏了。
Rose: So was I.
我也一样啊。
Kevin: Thank goodness that you had called the ambulance at the drop of a hat, or my grandpa would have been in great danger.
谢天谢地,还好你立即叫了救护车,要不然我爷爷可就有生命危险了。
Rose: It’s nothing. Heart attack is really a terrible problem for the old.
这没什么,心脏病对老年人来说真是一个严重的问题。
Kevin: Thank you very much!
非常感谢你。
014 At the eleventh hour 来得早不如来得巧;关键时刻
历史典故
对话
Kevin: What’s your problem, Rose? Why are you so depressed?
怎么了,萝丝?为什么这么无精打采的?
Rose: The Iron Man is dead in the Avengers.
《复仇者联盟》里的钢铁侠死了。
Kevin: Have you finished the movie? Iron Man was not dead, because he was saved by American Captain.
你看完整部电影了吗?钢铁侠没死,他被美国队长救了。
Rose: Really? He was obviously hit by a bomb.
真的吗?他明明被炸弹击中了啊。
Kevin: Yeah, but American Captain saved him at the eleventh hour.
是的,但是关键时刻美国队长救了他。
015 At the end of(one’s)rope 忍无可忍
历史典故
对话
Rose: Oh, god! What has happened with you, Kevin? So much blood is on your face.
哦,天呐,你怎么了,凯文?脸上都是血。
Kevin: I fought with Tom just now, and I almost beat him to death.
我刚才和汤姆打架了,我差点把他打死。
Rose: Why? What’s the problem on earth?
什么?到底怎么回事啊?
Kevin: He had sold my new car without my agreement. I was at the end of my rope with him.
他竟然不经我同意把我的新车给卖了。我对他忍无可忍了。
016 Axe to grind 别有用心;有不同意见
历史典故
对话
Kevin: I can’t believe it that you couldn’t answer the question the teacher raised.
我不相信你回答不了老师提出的问题。
Rose: Of course I could, but I wouldn’t.
我当然会,只是我不想回答。
Kevin: But why?
为什么啊?
Rose: I didn’t want to put him in an awkward situation as the question itself was wrong.
我不想使他难堪,因为问题本身是错的。
Kevin: Oh my god! So you have an axe to grind.
我的天呐,原来你还另有想法。
MEMO
_____________________________